Wednesday, 16 March 2016

CULTURE, CURRY AND VALENTINE'S DAY TOO.

My friend had emailed me to say she was coming down from the NE to visit her sister as her husband was doing a show at The Whitworth Art Gallery on Valentines day, would you believe. We don't pander to that occasion, so I had no problem with saying I'd join them. I have passed that building many times but never been there. The most simple arrangement was that I should get a train to Oxford Road and a bus up to the Whitworth, as we would be walking up to Rusholme later. 

Whilst waiting for the bus near the station, I heard a hoot, then realised a steam engine was passing overhead on the line I had just travelled on. There were two lovely steam engines and a row of carriages. I didn't have time to get my camera or phone out to take a shot. If only I'd stayed in the station a little longer I would have seen them go through towards Piccadilly.

Walking past The Academy at the University I stepped back to take a better photo of Holy Name Church across the road, when I fell flying as I hadn't realised there was a kerb behind me with raised bike racks. I hurt my upper arm as I fell with that on the iron bar. Good job it wasn't my head! The wounded soldier hobbled along the rest of the way and met up with my friends in the cafe bar at The Whitworth, which is a long room with floor to ceiling windows. I passed through a gallery where my friend's husband was telling stories to children, dressed up as a entertainer, knee length wide velvet coat and other items of clothing rather like a wandering minstrel. I forgot to take a picture as I didn't want to disturb his act as he might have noticed me taking a picture.

Coffee and cake 10/10. We had a walk around the gallery, I like to paint/draw a bit but am not really interested in things that don't look like what they're supposed to look. There were lots of photos relating to the period after the war when life was drab and the process involved in 'brightening' up the country. There was also a display behind glass of a robe which I believe was from the 6th century? There others and also a very fine hand knitted tunic in silk which dated from I can't remember but was extremely old. I enjoyed that. I'm just going to show you a few pictures to show you rather than go on at too great a length, as if you're interested you can look up The Whitworth on the internet.

I remember the building before this being demolished. We heard what sounded like an explosion when I was doing a German course at the building below. It was only afterwards seeing the rubble I realised what the noise was, a large ball hitting the previous structure. It's lovely inside.

My course was in the second building down, the one with pillars, another beautiful entrance hall, going right up to the top with galleries around it, a beautiful change from functional building further up behind The Academy, where we were first of all.

Holy Name Church, a very famous landmark along Oxford Road.

This is a theatre, I can't remember what the name of it is.

A shame about the scaffolding at The Whitworth, there are new buildings build onto the back of it to give lots of light and space.

Lovely old stairwell in The Whitworth 

This was another stairwell, that lovely mobile was designed for that spot.

A lovely fabric picture

I took this for my friend's sister, as she asked me to - her daughter's favourite colours.


A lovely paper 'patchwork' quilt made by children who had a session all sitting on the floor around it.

This was a battle re-enactment in the park, I couldn't wait to see more as we had to eat!


I was amazed just how much there was for young children, the entrance hall was absolutely chock full of push chairs, there was story telling, painting, flower making and this paper patchwork. Apparently you have to book early as the sessions fill up fast. It's free too I believe.

There was also a shop downstairs which sold all sorts of interesting things, lovely wooden toys and books for children.

We then walked up to Rusholme to find a few recommended Indian restaurants, came back, didn't find the one we wanted, had a meal in another, then found the one we should have gone to afterwards. It was very nice the one we went to. We had three different vegetarian dishes and shared them between us so we had a lovely selection. We didn't have a dessert and really it was pretty cheap, about £9 each which was amazing for Manchester. There was a funny sign outside the restaurant we wanted to go to, apparently recommended by Nigel Slater.




Well, we had a nice visit to the gallery, a tasty meal, lots of chatting as I don't see her and her sister very often and I hoped to read on the train home. However, it wasn't possible as I was absolutely jammed into a corner, the train was so full.

So that's all for today, until the next time. (Did you notice anything? No shots of Vulcans)

4 comments:

  1. The theatre is the Contact.

    We went to Whitworth on Tuesday, and I also fell over! I'm nit a huge fan if war art, but I love Paul Nash so I was delighted to see half a dozen of his pictures there (they do look like what they're supposed to look like!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite embarrassed when I arrived in the cafe and had to tell my friend I'd fallen - she thinks it's quite a habit, as when we were camping at York last year I was making my way across the camp site where there were only tents, no cars etc, when I walked straight into a guy rope and hurt my arm, quite badly, and later had to drive home like that. I actually don't walk around looking at the ground! Fortunately she didn't rib me about it, so that was OK.

      Delete
  2. I’m with you on paintings that don’t look like the thing they are supposed to represent. I suppose that makes me old fashioned but hey-ho that’s just the way I am! I’ve never been any good at painting or anything remotely artistic, which might explain why I enjoy blogging so much. I get to share beautiful things made by other people.
    I was sorry to read about your fall, hope your arm is feeling better now. I’m just off to my pilates class where we do a lot of ‘balance work’ the trouble is my balance is terrible so I tend to do a lot of ‘falling over’ and ‘tripping work’.
    It sounds as though had a lovely day (apart from the fall). I enjoyed the photos thank you for sharing them. I saw a fox in a field the other day. It was sound asleep in the sunshine – but like you, I didn’t have a camera with me. I’ve taken it everywhere since then and seen nothing I wanted to photograph! Sods law.
    Thank you again for the photo you emailed over, I’ve included it in the blog post.
    Must dash. Barbara x
    PS What no Vulcans???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Barbara, I had a spell of Pilates for the sciatica I suffered and was fine with most but absolutely no good at all at standing on one leg! Also some of the moves gave me cramp. I've always been flexible but now feeling a bit more my age lately. The arm is fine, it was only a bruise, the elbow I hurt last year was fine in a few weeks apart from the odd twinge when I am putting my hair up.

      Delete