Friday, 25 March 2016

SORTING AND TIDYING

Wednesday and Thursday were busy days for me as I decided to attack the bin full of papers that needed shredding or burning. Fortunately I managed to unblock the shredder with my trusty paper knife that I used at Lanstar for the same purpose. Apparently nowadays you can buy shredders that cope with pages and pages at a time. Mine only effectively shreds about 3 at the most. However, after stopping every few piles, and unblocking, then waiting whilst it cooled down, I achieved the objective and the bin was empty. Then I decided to attack the papers in the shed which had apparently acted as bed and breakfast for an army of mice or other rodents. These were incinerated in the rather rusty bin (which now needs replacing). Halfway through I realised that I had to leave it there, as I had to be at my Mum's and couldn't leave the bin smouldering. An other day!

The day before I had managed to paint the three panels of the fence between me and next door's driveway. I then painted a bench to match the garden chair. I'm getting worried I'm becoming domesticated.

Good Friday - well I was going to go to Woodford to see the white Vulcan XM603 again - it was a beautiful day, wall to wall sunshine, but I did my usual messing around, drinking coffee, having a go at crocheting a sock and other diversions. I wondered if my Mum might like to go, so realised she would want to have her lunch first. Then I decided it would take 45 minutes to get there and maybe it was too late. Went to Mum's armed with a huge branch lopper - she didn't want to go to Woodford, said she was not well enough but we went into the garden and attacked some shrubs and I was glad, as she would have foolishly had a go herself.

Now it's 22.29 on Friday night and the prospect of the rest of the Easter weekend is wet and windy. Still 603 - sorry, there is going to be another weekend. Then I might even be able to stand on your wings and clean you up!

My husband is suffering badly from hip problems, I'm really very worried about him, and his business. Being self employed is no joke if there's only you and the running costs are rather like having a rather self indulgent mistress.

FUTUR0 HOUSE

Barbara, my friend from March of Time Books, might be interested in this photo which I found on the internet. We had been talking of the 60s and I had shown her a photo of my living room in 1966, which I had accurately described to her, then strangely my son gave me some slides from his Dad with one of our living room. I managed to take a photo of it and I'll post it here too. In the 60s, there used to be an Ideal Home Exhibition held at Manchester every year which we used to go to. One of the exhibits was a Futuro house, which has stayed vividly in my imagination ever since. I really wanted one of these houses, which looks rather like something from The War of the Worlds. There was a George Clark programme which I managed to watch on Catch up (channel 4) which showed a man who had bought one of these houses and was restoring it. 

Isn't this amazing?

This was around 1966/7, it could actually pass today without much difficulty.

Well, I think that's just about enough. Next time I'm going to put on some photos of me in Paris in the 1960s. I hope the weather isn't too dire for the rest of the weekend but if it is, I'll just do some crocheting and more decluttering.

1 comment:

  1. Becoming domesticated? Sorry Anne Marie I think you are already there – painting fences indeed – you put me to shame!
    I had to read the bit about a mistress twice as I got completely the wrong end of the stick the first time – there you go making me laugh again. I’m really sorry to hear your husband is still struggling, and I understand just what being self-employed is like. People who are in full-time work – with paid holidays, sickness and all the rest have no idea what it’s like.

    I love the picture of the Futuro home; it is amazing and thank you for mentioning me in your post. I can’t wait to see your pictures from the 60s. I don’t know if you’ve found my family history blog? There will be lots that probably won’t interest you because I’m researching long dead family members but there are also pics of Terry and I in the 70s and 80s, me as a little girl and so on (not that many yet, but I hope to add more when I get time). It’s at http://flitneyfamily.blogspot.co.uk/
    Sorry it took so long to get over to see you, I have no idea where March went! I love reading your posts - it is exactly like getting a letter from a friend. Barbara

    ReplyDelete